Friday, January 18, 2008

Today's read: "The art of raising a puppy" written by the monks of New Skete.

Why am I reading puppy books? Other than the obvious that we've recently aquired a new puppy? Because it's been 9 years since I've trained a puppy.

I feel like I need a refresher course. For a while there in our life it seemed I did nothing BUT train puppies. Anyone who has known me for any amount of time knows that all my dogs are obedient to a fault. Even Buddy, for all his separation anxiety issues, was a very obedient dog. When I was raising up my first fur-baby I had studied a book that belonged to a friend of mine, she raised huskies, and it was fabulous. I used what I learned there on all the puppies/ young dogs we had over the next 8 years. When your dogs are spaced out about 1-2 years apart, that stuff stays fresh in your mind.

I've seen the monks on TV and loved what I'd seen their approach do. It's basically what I'd done with Corky and used on all the others done the line. Now that I've read it I'm thinking, Pppffttt, I knew all that.

If you're going to whelp a litter, this would be a good book to read. It is more about raising a litter than raising a puppy. I think I need to find their book called "How to be your dog's best friend." Just to read. Turns out I haven't forgotten as much as I thought.

Ps. O2 readings from last night from what I saw (since the little piss head shmuck didn't tell me anything, I have to wait till I see the DR. Ha he doesn't realize my DR will fax me the results, asswipe) O2 was never over 90, rode most the night at the mid to high 80's and dipped to 74 at least once. This is what I saw, who knows what happened when I wasn't looking. When it was at the low of 74 my pulse was 145. That was fun... and the headache was *right* there getting ready to start. Probably caused more from the high pulse and less from the low O2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like, How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks.